Dr Arlt has a special interest in the management of allergies. He runs an allergy clinic for children as well as adults.
The following allergy testing is offered at Richmond Practice:
- Skin-prick testing
- Blood testing (IgE RAST tests) for specific allergens
- Provocation tests
In addition to treatments of allergy symptoms (i.e. with
antihistamines, nasal sprays etc.) Dr Arlt offers desensitisation
treatment (also called SIT, Specific Immunotherapy) which is very
effective and treats the cause of the allergy, rather than the symptoms.
Desensitisation is particularly useful for the following conditions:
- Severe hay fever, pollen allergies, house dust mite allergies
- Pollen allergies in children to prevent asthma
- Allergic asthma, caused by pollen or house dust mites
- Bee- and wasp sting allergies should be desensitised in hospital (increased risk of severe allergic reaction)
The most effective form of desensitisation treatment is administered by
injections of allergen extract, which are given at regular intervals
over the course of several weeks. The dose of allergen given in each
injection is progressively increased over the course of the treatment.
The treatment duration is usually three to five years.
So-called oral or sublingual desensitisation treatment is now also available.
Please call us for further information or to book an initial consultation in our allergy clinic.